This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information, view our privacy policy.

Physical Disability

Physical disabilities can be the result of genetic conditions, serious illnesses or injury.

Key points

  • Persons with physical disabilities can benefit from therapy/intervention, as well as care programmes which support their needs.
  • Children with physical disabilities can enrol in either SPED schools or mainstream schools.
  • Adults with physical disabilities can participate in programmes to prepare them for working life.
  • There are training and skills-upgrading programmes to help those with disabilities to secure jobs.

Here, you will find information on the social support available for persons with physical disabilities, as well as resources and stories from those on the same journey.


Therapy and intervention

Actions to take

  • Look into early intervention programmes and therapy offered by schools or private centres to support your child’s development.

Rehabilitation and therapy can help those with physical disabilities manage their conditions confidently and regain or even improve certain functions. Treatment goals vary between individuals. Common forms of rehabilitation include physiotherapy and occupational therapy.

Services and programmes

Early Intervention Programme For Infants and Children (EIPIC) is likely the most known programme for children with special needs. Activities at EIPIC centres aim to maximise the child’s developmental growth potential while minimising the development of secondary disabilities. Click here for a list of EIPIC centres catering to children with physical disabilities

If your child is not in a programme or school where therapy is already provided, he can still attend therapy sessions offered by other SSAs or private intervention centres. Adults with acquired disabilities can also consider therapy services to overcome challenges they face in mobility, independent living, working and socialising. Click here for more information on therapy & intervention.

Other useful information:


Child and adult care

Actions to take

  • Consider day care, residential, or home-based care options which can cater to your various caregiving needs.

Day care, residential programmes and other care services are available to support people with physical disabilities. The type of service needed varies according to the person’s needs and the level of support that his/her caregiver can provide.

Services and programmes

Caregivers looking for childcare and before- or after-school care could consider services such as the Integrated Child Care Programme (ICCP) for pre-schoolers aged two to six, or Special Student Care Centres (SSCCs) for students aged seven to 18. More information can be found below:

For adults, getting a job is a step towards financial security and participation in society. Other options include Sheltered Workshops and Day Activity Centres (DACs).

For help at home, foreign domestic help or home-based care services by SSAs are possible options. More information can be found here.

Adults who are unable to receive adequate care support at home can opt for, residential homes and hostels which offer alternative accommodation. More information can be found here.

Organisations like Rainbow Centre have activity-based programmes that aim to enhance the social integration of persons with disabilities.

Young Adult Activities (YAA!) by Rainbow Centre is a community club that aims to enhance the quality of life for persons with moderate to severe disabilities by reducing social isolation. Activities include weekly classes, excursions and volunteering opportunities. Please contact the programme to find out more and check for eligibility.

In light of enhance safe distancing measures for COVID-19, most activities are now being conducted in small groups for its members, or suspended for the time-being.

Other useful information



Actions to take

  • Consider enrolling your pre-schooler into an inclusive or integrated preschool.
  • Find out more information and consider the different factors before enrolling your child into either SPED school or mainstream school.

Children and youths with special needs have various possible educational pathways, depending on their individual needs and abilities.

Apart from early intervention programmes, pre-schoolers may enrol in inclusive or integrated pre-schools. Education is compulsory up to age 15 in Singapore, so children from age seven will need to enrol in either Special Education (SPED) schools or mainstream primary schools.

Currently, there is no SPED school dedicated to children with only physical disabilities. However, some SPED schools support students with multiple disabilities, and these will support those with physical disabilities too. Mainstream schools admit students with physical disabilities and they provide additional support such as allied educators and barrier-free access.

Parents can consult medical professionals, social workers or teachers to seek professional advice on whether the child should attend a SPED school or mainstream school. The links below also provide useful information.

Service providers:
Other useful information:


Work training and skills upgrading

Actions to take

  • If you have an acquired disability, enroll into SG Enable’s Hospital-to-Work programme.
  • Explore skills upgrading and job placement opportunities.
  • Explore assistive technology (AT) devices, as well as AT subsidies, to help with workplace modifications to facilitate work.
  • For students in Institutes of Higher Learning (IHLs), contact your school’s Special Educational Needs (SEN) Support Office who look into internship or mentorship programmes.
  • Find out more information here: Training and employment.

There are various initiatives for students with special needs leaving the school system to help prepare them for working life. These include internships and vocational training.

Persons with acquired physical disability – such as those due to accidents or illness – may find it difficult to return to their old jobs or prepare for a new career. They may consider SG Enable's Hospital-to-Work programme, which offers services including rehabilitation, skills training and employment assistance.

  • Preparing for work - Adults with acquired disabilities

There are also many training courses offered at subsidised rates, and which are customised for persons with disabilities to upgrade their skills and enhance their employability. There are also grants and subsidies available to help defray training costs.


Finding employment

Job seekers can look into services and schemes designed to help them secure and hold down a job, such as specialised employment assistance, CV clinics and job matching services.

Assistive technology devices and software can help reduce or even remove challenges which persons with physical disabilities face at work. Employees can ask their employers to consider the Open Door Programme's Job Redesign Grant, which subsidises the cost of making accommodations for the employee, and covers the purchase of equipment, workplace modifications and redesigning of jobs or processes. Alternatively, they may choose to invest in subsidised Assistive Technology (AT) devices with the help of the Assistive Technology Fund.

Other useful information:

Featured articles:

Inclusive hiring isn’t just about a barrier-free workplace

Resources and support

Other forms of disability support

An overview of disability support available can be found on our Introduction page.

Money Matters

Information on financial assistance schemes, subsidies and grants.



Information on accessibility features of public transport, concession cards.


Assistive Technology

Hearing aids, Braille devices, magnifiers and other assistive technology to help you live and work more independently.


Leisure & Recreation

Arts and sports venues, and other places of interest with barrier-free accessibility.